software allows you to make interactive web games
and puzzles for students. These puzzles and games
are gradeable in Moodle when you use the Moodle Hot
Potatoes Plug in.
Why create these activities? Use them as
self-assessment exercises, reviews, or as
Types of applications that can be created with this software include, but are not limited to:
You can make fill in the gap exercises, called JCloze; regular multiple choice or
multiple response quizzes, called JQuiz; drag and drop
matching exercises, called JMatch; multiple choice/matching
exercises, also one of the JMatch options; and
crossword puzzles, called JCross.
is available for free from the Hot
Potatoes web site: http://www.hotpot.uvic.ca/.
The Hot Potatoes Logo is used with permission from Half-Baked Software.
Making Self-Graded Quizzes
tutorial, you will learn how to create a self-graded
|Left (ordered) items||Right (jumbled) items|
|Invisible Man||Ralph Ellison|
|The Color Purple||Alice Walker|
|Native Son||Richard Wright|
5. TO SAVE EXERCISE:
Save your exercise. You can save it as Lit_match or litmatch or book_and_author. Remember not to put any spaces in the file name you choose. If there are spaces in the file name, the file will not load properly later.
6. TO INSERT ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS:
the first question, there are two arrows. One
points up, and one points down.
Click on the arrow pointing up to add more questions. However, please remember that your students will have difficulty seeing more than five questions at a time, so it is not recommended that you have more than five drag and drop questions. You can test your finished product to see if you have too many questions and answers, or if you have room to add more.
7. TO PREVENT JUMBLING:
The "fix" box to the right allows you to tell the software not to jumble this particular answer.
8. TO INSERT AN IMAGE:
Also, if you want to add an image, for instance, substitute pictures of authors for author names, in this case, you can do that. First, create a folder and title it logically. For example, you might title it African_Amer_lit. Put a folder inside that one entitled "images." Put your pictures in the images folder, and save your puzzle in the main folder. Click on the "INSERT" column and then select "INSERT PICTURE." You select the images and save them with your finished drag and drop. The puzzle will only work if the folder is moved with the puzzle and images inside as they were linked. Once you put your activity on the World Wide Web, you will need to re-link your images and make sure they work, so you'll want to keep the original Hot Potatoes exercise and the html file together.
9. TO CHANGE COLOR SCHEME:
Under "OPTIONS" and "CONFIGURE OUTPUT," you can choose colors to brighten your drag and drop.
10. TO SAVE IN HTML FORMAT:
Under "FILE," choose "CREATE WEB PAGE." Three options appear: "STANDARD FORMAT," "DRAG/DROP FORMAT," and "FLASHCARD FORMAT." Choose "DRAG/DROP FORMAT," and save your exercise using the same name as the JMatch file. You will want to keep your JMatch and html versions of the exercise together.
11. TO UPDATE YOUR EXERCISE:
When you update or make a change to your exercise, you should make the change to the JMatch file and then resave it over the older JMatch version. You should then use the new JMatch to create a new html version, following the instructions in step 10.
Success! The program will ask you if you want to view the quiz in your browser. Check out this fun, educational activity that you have made in just a few minutes! If you can't see your exercise, look at the top of your screen under the browser bar. You may see a yellow bar that asks if you want to view the page. You must tell it "yes" in order to view your page.
When you open up your Hot Potatoes software, you will see a pile of potatoes with different words on them on the left. Click on the potato marked "JCross."
Here you will see the grid. The crossword puzzle is a bit more complicated than the other puzzles.
1. Across the top you will
see the words "FILE," "EDIT," "INSERT," "MANAGE GRID,"
"OPTIONS," and "HELP." This tutorial suggests you let
the software make the grid for
you. Under "MANAGE GRID," choose "AUTOMATIC
2. A box will pop up that says "Create a crossword grid automatically."
3. The directions tell you "Enter each word or phrase on a separate line."
4. Type in the following words:
on the box that says, "Make the grid."
6. Now, you can see your grid. On the left hand side, find the word "Title." There should be an empty box underneath it. Can you guess what the title of this crossword puzzle will be? In the empty "Title" box, type "Star Trek."
on the box that says "ADD CLUES." This part gets
tricky. There is a GREEN "OK" button at the bottom
of the screen. You will need this button when you are finished entering the clues.
Until then, ignore it. If you
click on the GREEN "OK" button at the bottom,
you will be taken back to the grid page, and you
will need to click on the "ADD
CLUES" button again to return to this screen.
8. Two boxes appear after you click on "ADD CLUES." The top box is labeled "ACROSS." The bottom box is labeled "DOWN." You can start with either box. Click a word to highlight it. Your cursor will flash in the box below, and you can type a clue for it. For practice, click on the word "McCoy." It will be highlighted in gray. Type "Original 'Star Trek' doctor" in the clue box.
9. Once you have finished inserting the clue, click on the red "OK" button on the right.
10. Now, you can insert another clue. Select and highlight another word, and type in your next clue. For practice, repeat the instructions in steps 8 and 9 to add clues for "LaForge," "Troi," "Kira," "Luc," "Kirk," "Home," "Archer," "Kathryn," and "Spock."
|LaForge||"Star Trek: The Next Generation" engineer|
|Troi||"Star Trek: The Next Generation" Counselor|
|Kira||"Deep Space Nine" officer ____ Nerys|
|Luc||Enterprise captain Jean-___ Picard|
|Kirk||Original "Star Trek" captain|
|Home||Movie title: Star Trek IV: The Voyage _____|
|Archer||"Star Trek: Enterprise" captain Jonathan ____|
|Kathryn||"Star Trek: Voyager" captain ____ Janeway|
|Spock||Original "Star Trek" Vulcan|
11. Once you are finished entering all the clues, click on the GREEN "OK" button at the bottom of the page. You will be returned to the grid screen.
12. Under "OPTIONS", you can choose "CONFIGURE OUTPUT." Under "TITLES/INSTRUCTIONS," make sure the exercise has appropriate instructions, in this case, "Students need to click on the number in the puzzle to access the clue." Also, you can change the colors of your exercise under "CONFIGURE OUTPUT."
13. Under "FILE," choose "SAVE AS." Save your exercise--again, remember, just one word such as "Star" or "StarTrek" or "Star_Trek."
14. Under "FILE," choose "CREATE WEBPAGE." The option "STANDARD FORMAT" appears. Choose it. Then, save your puzzle (same name as the JCross file). You will want to keep your JCross and html versions of the puzzle together. When you update or make a change in your puzzle, you will make the change to the JCross file and then resave it over the older JCross version. Then you will convert the new JCross version to html.
15. Success! The program will ask you if you want to view the exercise in your browser. Warp speed ahead!